An Uncommon Butterfly

Published by Christy under on 9:48 AM
The long-tailed skipper (Urbanus proteus) is not very common this far West in North Carolina.
From the information I have read, it's a southern migrant that usually sticks around the southern coastal plains here in NC, but lo-and-behold what do I see on Saturday morning but a long-tailed skipper feeding on my butterfly bush!
We have LOTS of skippers here in Iredell County (Western Piedmont- about 500 miles from the coast), but this fellow has to be the most fantastic skipper I've ever seen. There's no way you could get him mixed up with another.

2 comments:

DeniseinVA said... @ October 8, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Beautiful photos, a lovely subject.

jalynn01 said... @ October 16, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Nice capture. I was glad to see your butterfly bush still blooming...mine is long ago gone! Pretty!

Post a Comment